Humanitarian Desk Officer
Within the Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Aid Department, the Humanitarian Aid Office is recruiting a Humanitarian Desk Officer for the Middle East and the Balkans. Under the line management of the Head of Humanitarian Office, his/her responsibilities will be to support the Humanitarian Office in the proposal development and implementation of humanitarian projects, ensuring coordination with Countries and with Country Relationship Managers at HQ level, quality and timeliness of the response and adequate reporting.
The following tasks must be carried out in order to ensure the best response for the affected populations and to evaluate the conditions for possible development of activities. His/her main responsibilities will be to:
- Support Oxfam Country Programs in order to ensure quality standards are respected in implementation and overall management of humanitarian programs within all phases of the Oxfam humanitarian responses in assigned geographical countries;
- Ensure coordination with other departments for finalization of contracts with different humanitarian donors and proper start-up of activities in the countries of operation;
- Support in the preparation of reporting for different institutional donors;
- Ensure monitoring and follow-up to emergency and recovery interventions in which Oxfam Italia is involved in (including monitoring/evaluation missions in countries);
- In coordination with Country teams, design and/or develop concept notes and/or project proposals to be submitted to institutional and private donors, in line with Oxfam Italia procedures and priorities,
- Act as the lead and ensure timeliness and accuracy of internal reporting and regularly update on the progress achieved;
- Support the recruitment of humanitarian personnel as needed;
- Support the Humanitarian Office in conducting capacity building of local staff in-country and in collecting and documenting lessons learned;
- Contribute to the elaboration of procedures and tools to improve the Oxfam response in specific sectors/ thematic or geographic areas.
- Advanced university degree or equivalent working experience.
- Previous experience in managing Humanitarian Aid projects in the field (at least 5 years, and at least 6 months continuously in the same operation). Previous experience of work in project management roles and/or at Head Quarters is an asset.
- Proven experience in writing project proposals, including for Humanitarian Aid donors
- Previous experience of working with local NGOs as partners.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles and standards.
- Knowledge of the main humanitarian donors, with particular reference to DG ECHO and/or Italian Agency for Cooperation and Humanitarian Aid (AICS).
- Excellent written and spoken Italian and English. French or Spanish are an asset.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office.
- Culturally sensitive and able to understand and work in a very complex context.
- Problem solving attitude
- Good team player with strong initiative.
- Good inter-personal and communication skills.
- Ability to adapt and work in difficult situations.
- Knowledge of protection and/or WASH sectors is an asset.