MEAL and Institutional fundraising officer
ONG: Oxfam Italia
Posizione: MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) for the migrants and refugee crisis and Institutional fundraising officer.
Dipartimento: Cooperation to Development and Humanitarian Aid
Sede: Catania, with duty trips in the Sicilian region
Contratto: Temporary collaboration (Collaborazione coordinata e continuativa)
Durata: until 31st December 2017, renewable
Disponibilità: from September 2017
Scadenza candidature: 10-09-2017
The humanitarian MEAL and Institutional fundraising officer will be hired for a four months period (renewable) to coordinate MEAL activities in Sicily and support the Sicily Office with the institutional fundraising.
Within its current work in South East Europe, since September 2015 Oxfam Italia (here after OIT) is committed to respond to the needs of refugees and migrants who are arriving to Italy and specifically in Sicily.
As managing affiliate on behalf of Oxfam Confederation in South East Europe, OIT manages the humanitarian response and coordinates its efforts with other affiliates who are providing a response to the Migrants’ and Refugees’ crisis at the European level. Moreover OIT is leading the response Serbia and FYROM and coordinating with ONL who is responding to the needs of the thousands of refugees and migrants transiting Greece.
OIT is responding to the immediate and critical needs of vulnerable target beneficiaries with a protection response OpenEurope carried out in partnership with other organizations, in particular the Waldesian Church, Borderline Sicily, Doctors for Human rights (Medu).
Focused on a right-based approach, OpenEurope programme assists migrants excluded from the protection and reception system through:
– provision of legal information and distribution of leaflets (Guide to Rights) to assist people to claim their rights and have access to international protection;
– facilitating access to basic services to meet their basic needs through orientation to services and distribution of Guide to Services;
– provision of material assistance with the distribution of safety kits.
Activities are conducted by teams composed by socio-legal operators and cultural mediators through mobile units and info point in the provinces of Messina, Catania, Siracusa, Ragusa, Caltanissetta, Agrigento and Palermo.
OpenEurope humanitarian response is integrated with advocacy and communication activities at national and international level aimed at disseminate the knowledge on migrants’ rights, sensitize actors involved in the management of the migration phenomenon and positively influence migration policies.
Regarding MEAL activities, a data collection system has been set up in order to track the performance inform advocacy activities both at national and at European level (through Oxfam International).
In June 2017 during the Regional MEAL learning meeting on accountability an action plan for the MEAL component has been set at Regional level.
With regard to its domestic program Oxfam is intended to strengthen its presence in Sicily through activities strictly connected to the strategy developed and shared at national level. Such activities concern both resident and migrant population. At the present Oxfam Italia is involved in the following activities:
Oxfam Italy and the Waldesian Church since April 2017 run a Community Center in Catania where orientation services, courses, laboratories, literacy courses, school support, mediation (Catania and Province) in the framework of the national jointly launched Poverty Reduction Program in Italy.
From May 2017, Oxfam Italia Intercultura is engaged in the reception of unaccompanied foreign minors (MSNA) and co-runs with the Cooperative Utopia a Reception Center for MSNA in Barcelona Pozzo di Gotto (Me) funded by FAMI funds, where it carries out activities for integration, training and recreational workshops.
The MEAL and Institutional fundraising officer will be responsible for the following roles:
- Monitoring and Evaluation of programme activities related to the EU migration crisis response and ensure we are accountable and listen to the community (60%) under the supervision of OIT Humanitarian Programme Manager.
2) Support the Head of Mission in developing a funding strategy to guarantee the sustainability of Oxfam presence in Sicily (40%).
1) The MEAL officer will carry out the following tasks under the supervision of the OIT Humanitarian Programme Manager and in close cooperation with the team in order to ensure the best response for the affected populations and to evaluate the conditions for a possible development of activities. The outputs of this work will be in alignment with the OIT Crisis Response Strategy and Oxfam minimum standards for Oxfam Humanitarian responses. He/she will be based in Catania at OIT office, with regular field visits in the response sites in Sicily. The post has no final budget responsibility and no responsibility for assets or stock.
This post is required to plan and coordinate with partner organizations which are part of the humanitarian response in Sicily in order to ensure their compliance to performance objectives agreed.
His/her main responsibilities will be:
- Develop and implement the MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) strategy defined by Oxfam Intermon MEAL expert, regularly checking its feasibility and updating the strategy when appropriate as the situation evolves, keeping in line with Oxfam MEAL minimum standards
- Develop a MEAL strategy to the Sicilian context, in line with Oxfam MEAL minimum standards
- Ensure that any new project has a clear MEAL plan in line with overall response MEAL strategy
- Supervise and support data collection for activity, output, result and beneficiary monitoring, from developing monitoring tools, training enumerators on the use of ICT tools to collecting data in the field, and coordinating data entry and analysis
- Ensure the respect of privacy and confidentiality of data collected from beneficiaries.
- Regularly update the beneficiary counting table and the other documents for the M&E system, and produce regular MEAL reports
- Ensure regular reporting on a weekly and monthly basis of the performance results for Oxfam Italy and the EU response (monthly Situation Reports)
- Contribute to the analysis of the profile and needs of the target population through the data collection of assisted migrants.
- Train OIT partners and accompany their MEAL activities in Sicily
- Monitor the ongoing humanitarian activities Oxfam Italia has started with its partners including monitoring and collection of data and reports from partners, identifying interesting case studies and provide inputs to contribute to the programme quality enhancement and the design of new activities and project proposals.
- Develop case studies on response results to be shared with the donor
- Contribute to inform communication and advocacy activities with data gathered, audio-visual materials related to activities.
- Coordinate with programme teams, evaluation exercises (Real-time evaluation, final evaluations etc.), including development of ToRs, recruitment of internal or external evaluation teams, and support to the evaluation team in the field
- Ensure that key principles of accountability (participation, transparency, feedback and complaint management) are integrated in the response programme, follow-up feedback and complaints collected to share results with the team.
- Ensure that information collected in the field is analyzed and acted upon regularly by the programme teams and partners, creating quick learning loops
- Define opportunities for periodical Learning exercises (monitoring reviews, after-action reviews etc.)
- Conduct regular field visits in order to collect data and to supervise the activities implementation
- Any other duty assigned by the supervisor
- The Institutional Fund Raising officer (40%) will carry out the following tasks under the supervision of the Head of Mission in Sicily.
His/her main responsibilities will be:
- Liase with Domestic Program Funding Coordinator and Head of Mission and contribute to define and implement an ad hoc engagement strategy with institutional and non-institutional donors at national and local level.
- Identify opportunities of funding at national and local level to support OIT activities in Sicily
- Support proposals drafting and submission to institutional and non-institutional donors
- Liaise and closely relates with Domestic Program Funding Coordinator.
- Advanced university degree related to Humanitarian Aid sector, Statistics, Social Science;
- Previous working experiences in Humanitarian Aid projects preferably in the field of migration and protection;
- Previous experience in Humanitarian MEAL activities;
- Good knowledge of the migration issue and proven previous experiences working with local NGOs as partners;
- Culturally sensitive and able to understand and work in complex contexts;
- Excellent written and spoken English;
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of Ms Office;
- Problem solving attitude;
- Good team player with strong initiative;
- Good inter-personal and communication skills;
- Ability to adapt and work in difficult situations.
The following qualifications will be considered as an asset:
- Interest and motivation to work in a non-profit organization;
- Knowledge of the context and previous experience in Sicily.