HUMANITARIAN DESK OFFICER
ONG: Oxfam Italia
Posizione: Humanitarian Desk Officer
Dipartimento: Dipartimento Cooperazione allo Sviluppo e Aiuto Umanitario
Sede: Firenze, con spostamenti frequenti all'estero per missioni
Contratto: Contratto di Collaborazione Coordinata e Continuativa
Durata: 4 mesi
Scadenza candidature: 24-01-2020
Role: Humanitarian Desk Officer (Humanitarian Aid Office)
The post reports to: Head of Humanitarian Aid Office
Staff reporting to this post: None
Duty station: Florence. Presence in Oxfam Italy’s office in Florence to be agreed with line manager (remote work can be considered). Missions abroad are foreseen, mainly in the Mediterranean, Middle East and Balkan Region, according to the needs.
Starting date: Immediate availability requested. Start date at the beginning of February 2020.
Duration of the contract: 4 months – possible contract renewal upon new available funding
Deadline for submission: 24/01/2019
Typology of contract: Short term contract (Co.Co.Co.)
Salary Gross amount: 2.300 euro/month
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
We tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 20 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of anyone. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include a misconduct disclosure scheme, criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send their CV, the details of 3 professional references, self-presentation letter, before January 24th, 2020 to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please specify in the reference: Humanitarian_Desk_Officer_name_surname”
Oxfam Italia is an independent NGO established in Italy (Arezzo) at the beginning of the ‘70s and now working in several countries. Oxfam Italia was born from the experience of UCODEP, an Italian NGO committed for over 30 years in the struggle against poverty and injustice. Oxfam Italia is the Italian member within the International Confederation of Oxfam, the fourth international coalition in the world, specialized in humanitarian aid and development programmes.
Within the Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Aid Department, the Humanitarian Aid Office is recruiting a Humanitarian Desk Officer to support the programme implementation in regions of engagement, namely South East Europe, Middle East and Horn of Africa. Under the line management of the Head of Office, his/her responsibilities will be to support the Humanitarian Aid Office in the proposal development and supervision of the implementation of humanitarian projects, ensuring coordination with Countries, compliance, quality and timeliness of the implementation and adequate reporting according to donor’s requirements. Specific focus on specific countries will be agreed at initial stage of the contracting period.
The Humanitarian Desk Officer will be the final responsible for the following tasks:
• Support Oxfam Country Programs in order to ensure quality standards are respected in the implementation and overall management of humanitarian programs within all phases of the Oxfam humanitarian responses in assigned geographical countries;
• Contribute to further develop the Oxfam Italy engagement in new countries of operations.
• Ensure coordination with other departments for finalization of contracts with different humanitarian donors and proper start-up of activities in the countries of operation;
• Support in the preparation of reporting for different institutional donors;
• Ensure monitoring and follow-up to emergency and recovery interventions in which Oxfam Italia is involved in (including monitoring/evaluation missions in countries);
• In coordination with Country teams, design and/or develop concept notes and/or project proposals to be submitted to institutional and private donors, in line with Oxfam Italia procedures and priorities;
• Act as the lead and ensure timeliness and accuracy of internal reporting and regularly update on the progress achieved;
• Support the recruitment of humanitarian personnel as needed;
• Support the Humanitarian Office in conducting capacity building of local staff in-country and in collecting and documenting lessons learned;
This job description is not incorporated in the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and could vary in the light of strategic developments and needs, following discussion with the post holder.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED
• Advanced university degree or equivalent working experience
• Previous experience in managing Humanitarian Aid projects in the field (at least 5 years, and at least 6 months continuously in the same operation)
• Previous work experience in project management and/or at Head Quarters is mandatory
• Proven experience in writing project proposals, including for Humanitarian Aid donors
• Previous experience of working with local NGOs as partners
• Knowledge of humanitarian principles and standards
• Knowledge of the main humanitarian donors, with particular reference to DG ECHO and/or Italian Agency for Cooperation and Humanitarian Aid (AICS)
• Excellent written and spoken Italian and English. French or Spanish are an asset.
• Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office
• Culturally sensitive and able to understand and work in a very complex context
• Problem solving attitude
• Good team player with strong initiative
• Good inter-personal and communication skills
• Ability to adapt and work in difficult situations
• Knowledge of Protection and/or WASH sectors is an asset.
CVs will be pre-selected according to coherence with the required profile. Selected candidates will be contacted for a written test and those who are considered eligible will be called for interviews. Interviews will be held in Florence, Italy. Travel costs will be on account of the candidate. For candidates who are not in Italy the first interview will be conducted through phone or Skype.
We thank all those who will apply, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Note: for more information about the organization, please consult our webpage: www.oxfamitalia.org