Project Manager DiaMaSe
DUTY STATION: Rabat with frequent travels to project target areas (Senegal and Italy)
DEPARTMENT: Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Aid
POSITION: Manager of the project “Engaging Diaspora Communities in Italy in Collaborative Efforts to Support Rural Development and Youth Employment in Morocco and Senegal” (DiaMaSe project)
STARTING DATE: 01/02/2019
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: 13/01/2019
DURATION: 1 year renewable
NOTE: Pending approval of the project by the donor
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: 20th of January 2019
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send their CV, the details of 3 people who will serve as professional references and motivation letter, all in English or French, before 13th of January 2019 to email@example.com.
Please specify in the subject: “PM IFAD_name_surname”
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
We tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 20 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and promoting the welfare of anyone. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The project “Engaging Diaspora Communities in Italy in Collaborative Efforts to Support Rural Development and Youth Employment in Morocco and Senegal – DiaMaSe” is co-funded by IFAD and will be implemented until March 2021. The overall goal of the project is to boost job creation and income generation for rural young people in Morocco and Senegal by leveraging the long-term investment from their diasporas in Italy. The objectives are: (i) to provide networking skills and technical support to the diasporas in Italy to identify and invest in profitable and remunerated rural on- and off-farm initiatives in and Morocco and Senegal; (ii) to provide financial and non-financial support to rural investments leveraging youth entrepreneurship and employment opportunities; and iii) to promote innovation and knowledge-building within diaspora organizations in Italy, among local and national policy-makers in Morocco and Senegal and among relevant international stakeholders to continue supporting the role of diaspora for rural youth development.
Oxfam Italia (OIT) implements the Project in partnership and close coordination with Slow Food (SF), and four Moroccan and Senegalese diaspora organizations. Two Oxfam affiliates implement in country activities in Senegal and Morocco, respectively Oxfam America and Oxfam Intermón, under the coordination of Oxfam Italia Project Manager and with the support of a multi-partners and complementary Project management Unit (PMU).
Due the innovativeness and complexity of the funding mechanism of the project requiring a matching between diaspora interests and in-country economic opportunities, the project is implemented in two stages: a pilot phase, and a second phase of scaling-up.
During this first phase, the project is adopting a research action approach to pilot test diaspora investments in competitive business sectors/markets in rural Morocco and Senegal leading to select and award 20 to 30 business projects (at least 10 per country). In this phase, the project will also develop a pilot model that matches investors with business/investment opportunities offering youth entrepreneurship and employment, along with effective financing mechanism to mobilize diaspora funds. This first stage will set a demonstration effect that can activate further interest from diaspora members and organizations.
After this stage, the project will extend implementation and an estimated 40 to 70 additional business projects will be selected (at least 20 per country).
Moreover, achievements and lessons learned will be used for dissemination and policy advocacy in the area of rural youth employment and entrepreneurship at the national and international levels.
The successful candidate, working under the line management of Oxfam Italy and under the supervision of the OI Country Director in Morocco, will be responsible and accountable for overall oversight and implementation of the project.
Project Cycle Management & Programme Quality
Ensure that all the partners and project’s staff work following a unique vision and strategy;
Ensure a proper coordination of the project pilot phase and consolidate all the relevant information and knowledge acquired allowing the project to scaling up;
Ensure technical management of the project to guarantee its correct and effective implementation, according to the donors’ requirements and in line with the Oxfam’s procedures;
Ensure an effective strategic steer for the sound implementation of the financing mechanism of the project and supervise closely the work of the technical expertise on diaspora investments and microfinance;
Ensure that risk management and contingency planning is included at all stages of the programmes.
Ensure an exit strategy is in place for all pilot projects funded by the project, and for the network sustainability.
Ensure project activities have the appropriate visibility in compliance with donor requirements and procedures.
Ensure effective communication and well-structured ways of working with partners and Oxfam Country Offices for planning and monitoring based on partnership agreements; keep open information sharing with the project donor and make sure that the project communicate a coherent message to beneficiaries and stakeholders;
Maintain appropriate internal controls and ensure an effective Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning system; utilize lessons learned from past activities and beneficiary feedback to revise strategies and action plans accordingly;
Undertake continuous duty travels in the 3 countries for providing guidance to partners and monitor activities highlighting implementation challenges and solutions;
People & Team Coordination
• Work closely with the consultants and project staff to provide appropriate guidance and managerial support to implement the project in line with the objectives laid out in the donor approved proposal;
• Facilitate communication flows between relevant staff (finance manager, technical experts, members of the 2 Oxfam country teams, Slow Food, Diaspora groups, IFAD);
• Organize coordination meetings with staff to facilitate information sharing;
• Supervise the work of project partners and Oxfam country offices’ staff;
Budget & Financial Management
Prepare and/or coordinate the preparation of budget estimates and expenditure forecasts;
Review actual financial performance against the budget, and explain variances on a regular basis;
Ensure that donor contractual requirements are fulfilled, including by partners and Oxfam Countries offices;
Supervise the preparation of financial reports by financial staff;
Build and maintain relevant relationships with (a) key governmental institutions and other actors, including diaspora associations, and (b) initiatives focusing on diaspora investments in order to facilitate proper knowledge sharing and capitalization process;
Reporting & Communication
Ensure proper documentation and reporting of the project activities, including that all supportive documents are duly recorded and accessible;
Prepare, in collaboration with the media and communication teams, news releases, official correspondence, statements and speeches and other public information material for the project;
Contribute to the resource mobilization efforts, identifying potential new project opportunities and contributing to the preparation of project proposal.
Perform other relevant duties as may be assigned by the line manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES
• Advanced university degree in subjects relevant to the content of the project;
• Minimum ten years’ experience in the management of international cooperation projects/programs of which at least five years in similar position in the sector of SMEs support and co-development. The experience in setting-up innovative financing mechanisms based on a mix of capital and credit is an asset;
• Relevant work experience with diaspora associations in Italy represents a strong added value;
• Relevant work experience in the North Africa and West Africa countries;
• Knowledge of IFAD procedures and previous experience with IFAD as donor will be an asset;
• Experience in leading, motivating and oversighting multi-disciplinary, geographically remote teams;
• Experience in management of partners and in liaising with governmental authorities, and with other national and international institutions;
• Advanced written and verbal English and French skills is essential. Working knowledge of Arabic is an asset;
• Strong administrative skills and advanced IT skills;
• Proven communication and drafting skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to write accurate reports and communication materials;
• Excellent leadership skills, ability to work effectively in a team, excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills;
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes;
• Ability to plan and organize work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Target oriented and problem solving aptitude. Diplomatic and confidentiality skills;
• An active commitment to promoting gender equality and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of an organization’s work;
• Willing and able to travel frequently in the 3 involved countries (Italy, Morocco and Senegal).
This job description is not incorporated in the employment contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments and following discussion with the post holder.
CVs will be pre-selected according to their coherence with the required profile. Selected candidates will be contacted for a written test and those who are considered eligible will be called for interviews. Interviews will be held in Florence, Italy. Travel costs on account of candidate. For candidates who are not in Italy the first interview will be conducted through phone or Skype.
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Note: for more information about the organization, please consult our webpage: www.oxfamitalia.org